MEE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL BOARD OF TRUSTEES, MANAGEMENT TEAM, MEDICAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
STRATEGIC PLANNING RETREAT
27 October 2011 * McHugh Hall, King City
Marilyn Snider, Facilitator – Snider and Associates (510) 531-2904
Gail Tsuboi – Tsuboi Design, Graphic Recorder (925) 376-9151
Mee Memorial Hospital provides primary health care and access
to comprehensive health services in a professional caring environment.
The vision of Mee Memorial Hospital is to be Southern Monterey County’s healthcare resource,
providing high quality service through direct care, education, and cooperative effort.
not in priority order
Mee Memorial Hospital values . . .
THREE YEAR GOALS
2010 - 2013 * not in priority order
u Ensure financial viability and sustainability
u Maintain and modernize facilities, infrastructure, equipment and information systems
u Expand hospital services
u Assure quality care and maintain accreditation
u Attract, develop and retain medical and professional staff
NEXT STEPS/FOLLOW-UP PROCESS
October 28, 2011
Distribute the retreat record to all invitees.
Within 48 hours of receipt
Read the record.
Nov. 1, 2011
Sr. Management Team
Review “Current Internal Weaknesses/Challenges” list for possible action items.
November 15, 2011
Share the updated Strategic Plan with their staff.
At the Dec. 13, 2011
Dr. Roy Schindelheim and Lex Smith
Provide an overview of the Strategic Plan to the MEC and Medical Staff.
Board of Trustees and Senior Management Team
Monitor progress on the goals and objectives and revise objectives (add, amend and/or delete), as needed.
Prepare and distribute the updated Strategic Plan Monitoring Matrix to the Board of Trustees, Medical Executive Committee, Management Team.
Board of Trustees,
Senior Management Team, Chief of Staff, MEC Members
Strategic Planning Meeting to:
- assess progress on the Goals and Objectives.
- develop Strategic Objectives for the next 6 months (May to October 2012)
STRENGTHS OF MEE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL AND ITS ACCOMPLISHMENTS SINCE THE MARCH 31, 2011 STRATEGIC PLANNING RETREAT
Brainstormed List of Perceptions:
- Successful lab Joint Commission
- Involved Board of Trustees
- We’re a ‘leaner, meaner’ team after the expense reduction process
- The hospital received a three-year accreditation
- Improved pharmacy oversight and involvement
- We’re developing our Customer Satisfaction Program
- The hospital achieved a net profit for the year
- We’re getting on track with EMR
- Successful interface with Reference Lab
- Increased educational offerings
- Maintained a good level of care
- Quarterly newsletter
- Decreased days in AR
- Established a Board Buildings, Grounds and Technology Committee
- GPO (Group Participation Organization) quarterly rebate
- Good working relationship with Monterey Health Organization
- The clinic received an additional $133,000 in CBI (Care-Based Incentive) funds
- Implementation of a new Hand Hygiene Improvement Program
- Successful implementation of a new Pharmacy Program
- Improved our Medical Staff Services Dept.
- Addition of a surgical scheduler
- Enhancement of the relationship with UC Davis
- Recruitment of a new HR Director and staff
- New website
- The community responded very well to our discount offer
- Excellent staff-physician relationships
- Updated and revised our Medical Staff Bylaws (rules and regulations)
- Telemedicine services are ready to be implemented
- We received new TVs in the SNF as a donation from the Foundation
- Successful training and competency on the Med-Surg isolator hood
- Implementation of multi-disciplinary rounding
- Completed patient needs assessment survey
- Improved revenue cycle
- Improved teamwork
- Successful SNF survey
- Successful CNA negotiations
- Dedicated staff
- Installed a CalStar beacon for the heliport
- Outstanding nursing leadership
- Restructured debt
- Increased donations for the Foundation of approx. $200,000
- Improved vendor relationships
- New Operations IT supervisor
- Increased surgical capabilities
- Dialysis got 30 out of 30 points scored (a quality measure from CMS)
- Addition of experienced senior management
- Received a $4,000 HPP (Hospital Preparedness Program) grant
- Enhancement of case management/UR
- Improved public perception
- Available parking for patients at 400 Canal
- Successful orthopedic training for patients
- Increased compliance in employee health from 60% to 90%
- Enhanced marketing
- Started a successful campaign on our HCAHPS (Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems)
- We have zero delinquency on charge tickets
- Implemented a new automated budget system
- New ER training room
- Involved and active Foundation and Service League
- We’re 2/3 to where we want to be on our purchase of a digital mammography scanner
- Implementation of a new pediatric task force
- New budget processes started
- We’ve done a lot of painting; the hospital looks fresher
- We have a good relationship with the Work Well organization
- IT director. has brought in quality, very competent staff and has improved our IT systems
At MEE It's All About YOU
Check out the all-new Mee Memorial Video, "At Mee It's All About YOU!"