Open Accessibility Menu

Mee Memorial History

60 Years with Mee Memorial

Mee Front Entrance in 1941World War II had yet begun, when in 1941 the first full-fledged hospital opened in King City because of the tenacity and dedication of a small cadre of physicians, led by Dr. L.M. Andrus. This 22-bed, single-story facility on Broadway (where King City True Value Hardware is now located), was known as the Southern Monterey County Memorial Hospital. During its more than 20-year existence, it was the place where thousands of babies were born and hundreds of lives saved. It was a small town hospital and greatly appreciated by its residents. It is still the only hospital within 50 miles and serves an area of several thousand square miles.

In 1962, a community fundraising for a more modern hospital culminated when rancher Tom Mee generously gave all the proceeds from a cattle sale, more than $150,000, to put the campaign over the top. Tom Mee requested that the hospital, which was built on Canal Street on land donated by Dr. L.M. Andrus, be named after his late father, George L. Mee, hence Mee Memorial Hospital.

The present hospital was built adjacent to that 1960’s facility and was completed in 2001 and is the core of the Mee Memorial Medical System in Southern Monterey County. Also included are four comprehensive medical clinics in King City and one in Greenfield. In 2007, the second floor of the hospital, which had been “roughed in” during the initial construction, was finished to increase the number of beds to 119.

Throughout the changes and growth, Mee Memorial continues to provide all the residents of South County with highly personalized care, state-of-the-art medical technology and a knowledgeable professional staff.

current hospital building imageStrong community support continues led by a dedicated Service League, committed Board of Trustees and hard-working Foundation that over the decades has raised several million dollars for the hospital.

With a strong management team and progressive and responsible Board of Trustees, Mee Memorial continues to expand its physician base, augment its technology and equipment, promote the hospital and its services and seek beneficial partnerships within the medical field and community-at-large.

Click here to view our progress article

The Movers & Shakers

Group photo of Mee Memorial movers and shakers

These are the men who were primarily responsible for the fundraising and construction of Mee Memorial Hospital.

— Front Row, Left to Right —

Dr. L.M. Andrus, original Chairman of the Board. E.L. Rianda, member of the original Board. Julius Trescony, who joined the Board during the first fund drive.

— Back Row, Left to Right —

Paul Brauch, first Secretary of the Board. Al Kaiser, member of the original Board. James V. Pettitt, Chairman of the first fund drive in 1959, and later Chairman of the Board. Dr. L.H. Andrus, member of the original Board and Medical Director for the hospital for 10 years. Harry F. Casey, member of the original Board and later Chairman. Emil Pasque, who joined the Board during the completion of the fund drive in 1962, and who followed Casey as Board Chairman. “The five members of the original board commenced dreaming and planning in 1958, finally incorporating as a voluntary nonprofit group in 1959. The hospital opened in 1962” — The Rustler Sept. 23, 1992.